We intend to fully live up to this responsibility by enabling future generations to live and do business in a balanced triad of environmental, social, and financial aspects. We consider this the primary task of sustainable corporate management.
For all these reasons, striving for sustainability is an integral part of our corporate strategy and is firmly anchored as management task in our Articles of Association. Management is supported by a sustainability initiative, comprised of partnership and employee representatives, in implementing this key task.
Ecological - Social - Economic: three pillars for sustainability
With its many facets, our sustainability efforts are grouped in three pillars: Sustainability (environmental pillar), Social (social pillar), and Compliance and Governance (economic pillar). Within this scope, we are working on carbon reduction projects, health protection and occupational safety, and other topics such as money laundering prevention and anti-corruption.
To give you an insight into our work, we present some of our projects below:
- Our Sustainability Group is continually evaluating opportunities to reduce carbon and is driving additional measures to reduce the carbon footprint. They include mobility alternatives for employees, such as BahnCard train tickets, public transport tickets, company bicycles, and an expanded number of charging stations for electric cars.
- We collaborate closely with B·A·D group on high occupational safety standards for team members. Examples include our internal Corona Task Force and company vaccination programs.
- We also have Wellbeing offerings for physical and mental health. Individuals may take out memberships at fitness studios at reduced fees or take advantage of the Heuking boot camps. We also offer online mental health programs.
- As part of our Welcome Days, new hires at Heuking enjoy a comprehensive onboarding program. All individuals are invited to further their education with the offerings of our Heuking Academy.
- Diversity & Equal Opportunity is a top priority at Heuking. In 2014, the law firm became a signatory of the “Diversity Charter.” Our firm exhibits at Sticks & Stones 2022 in Berlin, one of the largest LGBTIQ+ trade shows in Germany. We are also part of the #GesichtZeigen campaign of LGBTIQ+ career network ALICE.
- We ensure the integrity and lawfulness of our actions through internal training and other compliance measures under the responsibility of our internal Compliance team.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started. - Mark Twain
We have set out on our path, but we are by no means alone. Our firm is committed to sustainability together with many other law firms. The transformation to a sustainable business does not happen overnight. Our efforts are the beginning of the journey.
As a law firm, we consider it our duty to contribute to a sustainable society. The idea of acting sustainably is not only part of our corporate strategy, but we also intend to make environment (E), social (S) and governance (G) issues the benchmark for our corporate activities.