Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek has the „Peking“ returning to Hamburg from New York
The "Peking" is one of the last remaining four-masted windjammers and has been a museum ship in New York for over 40 years. In the future, the historic sailing ship will adorn the entrance area of the new German Maritime Museum in Hamburg.
The German Bundestag provided EUR 26 million for transport and restoration of the "Peking." Following a Europe-wide invitation to bid, CombiLift GmbH, Bremen, was commissioned with the transatlantic transport of the "Peking" on November 4, 2016. The Hamburg Maritime Foundation is the ship’s owner and responsible for its restoration. The foundation is legally advised by the team led by Dr. Martin Schellenberg, Hamburg-based specialist lawyer for procurement law at Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek.
The "Peking" will be transported on a heavy lift ship, since the ship is in no condition to travel on her own. In the second quarter of 2017, the ship is to be delivered and restored in a north German shipyard for two to three years. The "Peking" was part of the famous "Flying P-Liners" of shipping company F. Laeisz. Since 1877, all ships of the Hamburg-based shipping company have started with the letter "P." The "Peking" was launched at Blohm and Voss in Hamburg in 1911.
Counsel to Hamburg Maritime Foundation:
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek
Dr. Martin Schellenberg,
Dr. Isa Sadoni,
Dr. Hilka Frese (all Hamburg)