Download our flyer "Automotive and New Mobility Sector Group".
The global automotive industry is facing more challenges than ever before in its history: It is currently undergoing a fundamental transformation. E-mobility, car sharing, connectivity and automated driving are pushing forward this transformation. New requirements concerning environmental sustainability, digitalization, and changing mobility requirements present new challenges for the industry’s existing business models.
Moreover, new players are entering the automotive industrial sector. In this rapidly changing industry, clients need proven automotive experience to assist them to succeed in this competitive marketplace.
We advise you in the automotive sector
We provide a full range of contentious and non-contentious corporate, commercial, intellectual property and regulatory law services to investors, manufacturers (OEMs), tier 1 and 2 suppliers, distributors, automotive aftermarket companies and dealers. Together with our clients, we develop sector-specific solutions along the development, production, supply and distribution chains.
Automotive: Solutions tailored to the automotive industry
Our unique expertise gives us the opportunity to advise at every step of the way of a motor vehicle’s life. Issues regarding the first stages of development and design, to serial production, import and export of the final product, all the way to the disposal will be addressed by experts in our fields of corporate, commercial, intellectual property and regulatory law. In addition, we also advise on all areas of business law such as corporate transactions, employment matters, restructuring, or litigation matters.
Key Practice Areas
Our experts help you with:
- product safety and liability
- warranty issues and risks including recalls
- automotive regulatory compliance issues
- import and export controls
- intellectual property (patent prosecution, patent litigation)
- automotive cybersecurity and data privacy
- financing and investment opportunities
- M&A transaction advice
- labor and employment issues
- litigation and arbitration
- reorganization, restructuring and insolvency
- government contracts and public tenders
- license agreements
- development of new business models and new mobility concepts
- commercial contracts such as supplier agreements, development agreements for new designs and technologies, distribution agreements, logistics contracts and subcontracting contracts
Distribution & Commercial Law
- Advising a leading provider of commercial data integration software in relation to a data integration project with a major German car manufacturer
- Advising a car manufacturer on a consortium agreement for the standardization of e-charging stations, including a significant number of major car manufacturers, suppliers and technology companies in Europe, Asia and the US
- Advising a leading start-up – providing IT-based after sales marketing services for the automotive sector – on framework agreements with automotive companies and also market researchers
- Advising a US supplier on joint ventures with OEMs in Germany and Brazil
- Advising an automotive manufacturer on the acquisition of a German automotive supplier
- Advising an automotive supplier in various M&A transactions and the formation of joint ventures
- Advising Swedish EasyPark Group and its German subsidiary EasyPark GmbH comprehensively on the acquisition of German Fintech company Mobile City GmbH
- Advising an international tier-1 automotive supplier on the acquisition out of insolvency
- Advising an international tier-1 automotive supplier in connection with the completion of tool orders in insolvency proceedings
- Advising a Japanese automotive supplier in its acquisition of the motorsports division from the insolvency administrator
- Representing an automotive supplier in a litigation with its Chinese foreign commercial agent
- Advising an automotive supplier in a dispute with a major international automotive supplier
- Defending a motor vehicle manufacturer against copycat court actions because of the alleged use of illegal defeat devices in the wake of the “VW Diesel emissions scandal”
- Advising ESWE Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH in biggest Europe-wide tenders for delivering battery-operated busses and charging infrastructure required for their operation.
- Advising a public transportation company in a Europe-wide tender for converting hybrid busses into electric busses funded by an EU-program promoting sustainable mobility
- Advising public service providers on financing public transportation and related issues thereto
Passion for complex legal issues
Looking at the progress in the fields of connected cars and autonomous vehicles, today’s society faces important but also complex issues concerning the questions of safety and liability. The vision of people not having to “steer” the car will be an innovational milestone. However, the following questions need to be answered: Who is responsible for an accident caused by a self-driving car? And how can one ensure consumer data privacy is protected and attacks on the cybersecurity are not a threat? And most importantly, how will traffic regulations evolve facing issues like cars without a human driver. Our experts are able to guide you through those open waters and ensure your economic success.